Corporate Social Responsibility Policy Statement 2018
The BFS Group strives to be a good corporate citizen. Through its managers and through its people, BFS is committed to promoting protection of the environment; supporting charities and local communities; promoting equal opportunities; ensuring safe and efficient working practices; and working with suppliers who uphold similar values.
The Group recognises that our people are our greatest asset and key to continued growth and success and as such, we are committed to providing careers and working environments in which our people can achieve to their fullest potential.
The Group has a commitment to keeping employees informed of Group affairs through news circulars and regular staff meetings. Employees are encouraged to discuss operational issues with their line management and to suggest ways to improve performance and efficiency.
Developing future talent is fundamental to BFS.
- Provides clear and fair terms of employment for its employees
- Provides clean, healthy and safe working conditions
- Has a fair remuneration policy
- Strives for equal opportunities for all present and potential employees
- Encourages employees to develop skills and progress in their careers
- Does not employ underage staff
- Ensures that staff are aware of the Group’s policies on insider trading, bribery and inappropriate gifts, money laundering and whistle blowing
- Encouraging a harmonious working environment with zero tolerance to bullying or to any form of harassment linked to an individual’s sex or other personal characteristics.
BFS Group is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and diversity in employment and recognises that this is essential to ensuring the success and growth of the organisation. To this end, the Group makes every effort to select, recruit, train and promote the best candidates based on suitability for the job; to treat all employees and applicants fairly, regardless of race, sex, marital status, age, nationality, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation or disability; and to ensure that no employee suffers harassment or intimidation.
It is the policy of the Group to provide employment and to make reasonable adjustment to accommodate disabled persons wherever business requirements will allow and if applications for employment are received from suitable individuals. Should an existing employee become disabled, every reasonable effort will be made to ensure that their employment with the Group can continue on a worthwhile basis and that career opportunities are available to them.
Health, Safety and Welfare at Work
The health and safety, welfare and wellbeing of employees is of paramount importance to BFS Group. It is the policy of BFS Group to create and improve standards of Health and Safety, which will lead to the avoidance and reduction of risks and to ensure that the company complies with all Health and Safety legislation. The Group makes every reasonable and practicable effort to provide safe and healthy working conditions in all its offices. It is the duty of all employees to exercise responsibility and to do everything they can to prevent injury to themselves and to others. The policy standards and procedures are communicated to employees through contracts of employment, staff hand books, operating manuals, bulletins and notice boards and staff training as appropriate.
The Group is committed to ensuring the integrity and security of its business information with particular attention given to personal and sensitive data where inappropriate use or inadequate maintenance and safeguarding could have serious repercussions. The Group policies and procedures are based on its requirements for a secure operating environment, an assessment of the risks that the Company faces and relevant legal and best-practice requirements.
Environmental savings make good business sense. Our primary objective is to minimise our carbon footprint and any negative impact we may have on the environment. The Group is committed to the following:
- To meet or exceed the requirements of relevant legislative, regulatory and environmental codes of practice
- To identify, reduce and dispose of waste arising from our operations in a manner that minimises harm to the environment and prevents pollution of land, air and water
- To reduce the consumption of energy and water and use renewable and/or recyclable resources wherever practicable
- To encourage our suppliers and subcontractors to implement good environmental practices and procedures which support our own objectives and targets
- To take responsibility for the maintenance and revision of our environmental policy, which is reviewed on a regular basis, in order to set environmental objectives and targets for continuous improvement, as we recognise the need for sustainable development.
BFS supports a wide range of charities and annually nominates a Charity of the Year for which we raise funds as a Team on the Annual Wirral Seaside Walk.
While the Group is accountable to investors, it takes into account the interest of all its stakeholders including our employees, our customers and our suppliers, as well as the local community and the environment in which we operate. BFS’s reputation is one of its key assets and as a major player in the UK’s short term finance sector, adhering to the highest standards of integrity, personal conduct, ethics and fairness is deemed to be of vital importance.
- Seeks to be honest and fair in our relationships with its customers
- Provides the standards of product and service that have been agreed
- Takes all reasonable steps to ensure the safety and quality of products or services that it produces
- Promotes relevant Ombudsman redress schemes and subscribes to industry Codes of Best Practice.
- Seeks to be honest and fair in our relationships with suppliers and subcontractors
- Pays suppliers and subcontractors in accordance with agreed terms
- Has a policy not to offer, pay or accept bribes or substantial favours
- Encourages suppliers and subcontractors to abide by the same standards and principles.
- Is financially accountable to its investors
- Communicates to investors all matters that are material to an understanding of the future prospects of the organisation
- Aims to protect investors funds, manage risks and ensure funds are used as agreed.
- Aims to make the community in which we work, a better place to live and do business.
- Aims to be sensitive to the local community’s cultural, social and economic needs
- Endeavours to protect and preserve the environment.
- Engages in consultation with Government Regulators and relevant trade bodies on issues affecting the short term finance, related industry services and consumer protection
- Engages with journalists and reputable research bodies on topical themes
- Provides support to public and private bodies, including The Financial Ombudsman Scheme, Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and the Association of Short Term Lenders (ASTL).